Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Overrated - Albert Pujols and Dan Uggla


I figured Ryan was covering the underrated side, I'll take the over on this one.

Don't get me wrong, when 100% Pujols is as good of a hitter as there is this year. However, considering he plays at a position with a lot of solid players and tons of value picks out there, that he's hurting already, and that he plays of a team that will struggle to contend, I see him a very weak first rounder at best. Personally, I wouldn't take him with a top 10 pick, and although it would be difficult, I may even let him slip by given a late second rounder in a standard ten team draft. I personally see the Cardinals faltering big time and shutting Pujols down earlier rather than later. Buyers beware!

Of course, that is one pick that everyone has definitely started leaning towards, but here's another one: Dan Uggla. Going on average 75th in CBS standard drafts, they currently have him ranked as the 6th best second baseman. Don't get me wrong, getting 30 homer power out of second base is great, but at the cost of a sub .250 batting average? Unless it's a OBP/OPS league (where he gets a bit more value because he walks), I would definitely look past him at the Kelly Johnson/Ian Kinsler/Howie Kendrick tier.

All that said, I think he will drop off big time in his two biggest categories as well: runs and homers. Last year he led second baseman in runs and homers, but that was before big Miguel Cabrera left his place hitting behind Uggla. Now pitchers can either pitch around Uggla or pitch him more aggresively. I foresee him dropping under 25 homers, and maybe even below 90 runs. Still solid numbers, but would you rather take a guy like that with limited upside, or a Kinsler who could legitimately go 20/20 with 100 runs and 100 RBI's no problem, and has upside for even more. I'd take the upside every time in that spot.

Also, to note - Ryan is going to rue the day he took Pat Burrell over David Wright in that spot. RUEEEEEE THE DAY!!!!

3 comments :

  1. Anonymous said...

    this is the stupidest fucking thing ive ever read, I dont know how I came across it but I might pour bleach into my eyes for reading it. do society a favor and never ever post your opinion about baseball ever again. I hope you were extremely high on drugs when you wrote this and then overdosed and slipped into a coma afterwards. this is complete and utter trash the worst thing ive ever read in my life.

  2. Anonymous said...

    you idiot wow how can you say that about Pujols...I'm glad he won the mvp the year you wrote this so you feel more incompetent as a sports writer. WOWWWWWWWW

  3. Anonymous said...

    Idiot. He won the MVP after you wrote this. Duh.