Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Baseball is Here!!

Well it's 3a.m. PST here in Vegas and the Oakland-Boston game just got underway from Japan. This is the best month-long stretch of sports of the year. Not only do we have March Madness, but the start of the baseball season, the upcoming Masters golf tournament, along with the NFL Draft at the end of April to cap things off. But since baseball is on tv, I thought I would post my team of sluggers for my HR Pool this year. The competition works as such:
Pick 6 players from the following list: Alex Rodriguez, Prince Fielder, Ryan Howard, Carlos Pena, Adam Dunn, Matt Holliday, Jim Thome, David Ortiz, Lance Berkman, Miguel Cabrera, Ryan Bruan, Carlos Beltran, Alfonso Soriano, Carlos Lee, Albert Pujols (Top 15 HR hitters from last season). Then pick any other 9 players to round out a 15-player team. For an extra fee, teams can also select a reserve hitter to replace one of the original 15 half way through the season. This is how my team turned out.
1. Alex Rodriguez
2. Prince Fielder
3. Ryan Howard
4. Miguel Cabrera
5. Adam Dunn
6. David Ortiz
7. Aramis Ramirez
8. Nick Swisher
9. Vladmir Guerrero
10. Justin Morneau
11. Mark Teixeria
12. Brad Hawpe
13. Pat Burrell
14. Andruw Jones
15. Travis Hafner
UTILITY REPLACEMENT PLAYER: Paul Konerko
My last two spots came down to Burrell/Hawpe battling it out with David Wright and Manny Ramirez. I love David Wright (who doesn't) but I see him more as a 25 home run guy than a high 30's type, where as Pat the Bat has 40 home run power in him. As for Manny, I think he is due for a big year as he is in a contract year, but his age is a major concern and I'm not sure he will break the 35 homer mark. I could see a .300-30-120 year for Manny, but I feel his age/injury risk is too much and Hawpe could really bust out for 35-38 homers in Coors Field. The winner should take home around $1300 so hopefully my boys come through in a big way!

0 comments :