Tuesday, March 18, 2008

2008 NL Over/Under - David's Picks

Arizona Diamondbacks - 86.5 - OVER - This team won the West as a very young squad, picked up a stud starter in Dan Haren, and seemingly could only be better than the 90 win team from last year (unless the drop off from Jose Valverde to Brandon Lyon or Tony Pena is significant). Honestly, how could they not win 87 or more games? This bet kind of shocks me. Bet this with pride, bet this with confidence.

Atlanta Braves - 84.5 - OVER - Ryan and I agree wholeheartedly on this. The Braves have a chance to be one of the best teams in baseball, with an electric offense, a very solid defense (I'm going to say it - Mark Kotsay will be an upgrade on Andruw Jones - I said it), and a great pitching staff top to bottom. 84.5? This is the easiest bet in the NL in my opinion, even if they are in the tough NL East.

Chicago Cubs - 87.5 - UNDER - This is a hard team to predict for me. Very good lineup and a rotation that features three guys I really like at the top - Carlos Zambrano, Ted Lilly, and Rich Hill. However, this is another instinct team, and I just see them underperforming with not a lot of depth in the rotation and a weaker than average bullpen.

Cincinnati Reds - 79.5 - UNDER - How is this an 80+ win team? They could be great in a year or two, but their rotation is not good outside of Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo (on occasion). I'm not a fan of Francisco Cordero either, who had a ton of saves but got himself into a lot of precarious situations last year. I say they face injuries and their young pitchers do not take the leap they need, and finish in the mid 70's for wins.

Colorado Rockies - 82.5 - OVER - I just really like this team. I'm going to be perfectly honest, their lineup is full of guys who play the game the right way (not to sound like a scout). I think Jeff Francis and Aaron Cook will act as solid anchors, while Ubaldo Jiminez, Jason Hirsh, and Franklin Morales will do just enough to get them near the playoffs. 85 to 88 win team.

Florida Marlins - 68.5 - OVER - This team could go way over or way under. They are unbelievably young. They are unbelievably talented. If things rolled the right way, they could win around 75 games. If things don't, they win less than 60 (legitimately). I think they don't do either, but finish above 70.

Houston Astros - 72.5 - OVER - I think this team is going to surprise people, if only because they have a legitimately great offense. I think Michael Bourn will be a legit Rookie of the Year contender, and I think Roy Oswalt has a huge comeback year to give some legitimacy to their rotation. The rest of their rotation is unspectacular, if not outright bad, but I think they with their offense they'll be good enough to win 75 to 78 games.

Los Angeles Dodgers - 87.5 - UNDER - This is a very talented team with a very exciting lineup and a very solid starting rotation. Their bullpen is very good too, with the electric Jonathan Broxton setting up for the reliable Takashi Saito. Why did I choose under? I think the Rockies and Dbacks will both be better, and I don't think the Rockies win more than 88 games. Sorry guys, wrong division.

Milwaukee Brewers - 84.5 - OVER - If Ben Sheets and Yovani Gallardo can stay healthy, I think this team is a legitimate contender to be the best team in the NL. Of course that is a huge if, but I feel like 85 wins will be child's play for them in the mediocre NL Central.

New York Mets - 93.5 - UNDER - This team is already facing a lot of injuries, and if any of their big guys go down they haven't a shot to do much of anything. I like their rotation, but Pedro Martinez and Orlando Hernandez are very, very old and could easily break down. I'm not a fan of their depth (it's quality, not quantity guys), and I think that 93.5 is way too high - especially in this division. Big disappointment.

Philadelphia Phillies - 87.5 - UNDER - Besides having Brad Lidge at the end of their bullpen, I like every thing about this team. Their lineup is full of great, classic style players like Chase Utley, Shane Victorino, and Jimmy Rollins, and has the biggest basher of them all in Ryan Howard to hit behind them. I think their rotation is very solid, and I like this team to contend for the East title with the Braves and Mets. But I think they fall a bit short of 88 wins, 85-86 like Ryan suggested.

Pittsburgh Pirates - 68.5 - UNDER - This team has some very good young talent in their rotation, but their lineup is not good. In fact, it's bad. Very bad. Unless Jason Bay comes back big time, Adam LaRoche turns his looping swing into a 40 homer one, and the tablesetters step up big time, this is a contender for the bottom feeder in the NL.

San Diego Padres - 84.5 - UNDER - Solid team with a potentially great rotation, as Jake Peavy and Chris Young are studs at the top, Greg Maddux and Randy Wolf can be solid, if not unspectacular, in the middle, and Mark Prior - well, he's a great buy low. He may give you nothing. He may be an absolute stud. Regardless, they need offense in a bad way, and in this division I just can't see them competing unless all of the cards fall for them.

San Francisco Giants - 71.5 - UNDER - This team is terrible. I feel very bad for Tim Lincecum and Matt Cain, because they could lead the NL in K's and both have sub 2 ERA's, and still win only about 10 to 15 games combined. This team is going to be one of the worst in baseball.

St Louis Cardinals - 78.5 - UNDER - This is a team that gets 78.5 as their number because of Tony La Russa, Albert Pujols, and their reputation as a contender. Looking at their depth charts and who they are really, you see a different picture. This team WILL be under, and I see them as one of the easiest bets in the league.

Washington Nationals - 70.5 - OVER - How these guys only get 70.5 and St. Louis gets 78.5 I have no idea. I think this team is full of exciting talent. I'm a big fan of Ryan Zimmerman and I think their outfield could be superb with Elijah Dukes and Lastings Milledge performing to their talent levels and lowering the crazy levels. Plus, I think this is the year. I think Austin Kearns finally performs to where he should. They have a young and interesting rotation, and I like this team to surprise people with 75 to 77 wins.

0 comments :