Tuesday, March 18, 2008

2008 AL Over/Under - David's Picks

Baltimore Orioles - 65.5 - UNDER - Given optimal circumstances, I'd find it unlikely that the Orioles could win 66 games or more. They simply do not have the talent to achieve at this point. Given that they are facing a bevy of injuries and are in the toughest division in baseball, I see them being the worst team in the league.

Boston Red Sox - 93.5 - UNDER - As Ryan said, this team has the potential to be one of the best teams in baseball. They could easily win 100 games this year, no doubt about it. Then why do I have them picked to finish on the under side? Their rotation is currently very banged up and/or questionable, with Josh Beckett (he of the extremely spotty health throughout his career) already hurting, Curt Schilling on the sixty day DL, and end-of-the-rotation guys Jon Lester and Clay Buchholz being extremely talented, but still prone to meltdowns like most youngsters are. They could easily score 1,000 runs, but in this division I see them falling short.

Chicago White Sox - 79.5 - UNDER - The lineup is either on the decline or coming off a bad year. Their rotation is very talented at the top with Mark Buehrle and Javier Vazquez, but followed by the aging inconsistency of Jose Contreras and the young duo of John Danks and Gavin Floyd, it doesn't look to have the balance you would hope for out of a true contender. With the Tigers featuring the best offense in baseball (I don't care who disagrees) and the Indians being the best all around team, I just don't see the White Sox winning more than 75 games.

Cleveland Indians - 88.5 - OVER - This is, in my opinion, the best team in baseball. They are the best mixture of offense, defense, and pitching. They are young and experienced, and they have some of the best upside in the entirety of the MLB. They nearly beat the Red Sox last year in the ALCS, and that was with arguably their two best hitters in Travis Hafner and Grady Sizemore having "off" years. I predict that they will both have big years, and the Indians will destroy the 88.5 total.

Detroit Tigers - 93.5 - UNDER - I think that this is the hardest team to predict. They could score 1,100 runs and have one of the single best offenses ever. They could also easily miss the playoffs with an iffy pitching staff. I think it will be the latter.

Kansas City Royals - 71.5 - OVER - Even though they are in a pretty solid division, I think the Royals will surprise people. I think their young offense will start to pick it up, and I think their pitching will surprise people. I think both Brian Bannister and Zach Greinke will step up, and Gil Meche will be a solid anchor. Nowhere near a playoff team, but I see them winning 74 to 76 games.

Los Angeles Angels - 91.5 - OVER - With the injuries to John Lackey and Kelvim Escobar, I'd be concerned about this team. Well, if it weren't for the fact that they play in the AL West and they get to play the A's and the Rangers for a large portion of their schedule. Lackey and Escobar will both make it back, but they'll be in fine shape before then.

Minnesota Twins - 72.5 - OVER - I have a strange feeling about this team. Call it my gut pick but I really think this team will surprise people and definitely go over, maybe near 80 wins and finish third in the division. I think Francisio Liriano comes back in a big way, the rest of their rotation will be solid, and their offense will be surprisingly effective - like all Twins lineups seem to be.

New York Yankees - 93.5 - OVER - This is more a reflection of what I think of Baltimore (be terrible) and Boston (be hurt) this year. I think they have a great lineup, a solid if unspectacular rotation, and a typically solid bullpen. I think they will be not far over, but in the 94 to 96 range.

Oakland Athletics - 73.5 - UNDER - I look at their roster and question how they will be that much better than Baltimore. They will be in the 68 to 70, I believe, but their best players could get hurt very easily or be traded very quickly. They have a lot of young talent on their roster, but I think in two years they'll be good. This year? Not so much.

Seattle Mariners - 86.5 - OVER - This is going to come off as me being a big homer, but I think an 88 win team (even one that had a negative run differential, but extremely solid in one win games) who replaces bums Horacio Ramirez and Jeff Weaver with Erik Bedard and Carlos Silva could win more games. Their offense is a bit on the weak side, but they can produce runs. If they can get a bit of power from youngster Wladimir Balentien and Jeff Clement, or trade them for a solid power bat, I could easily see them sneaking into the playoffs.

Tampa Bay Rays - 73.5 - OVER - This team is exciting. I look at their roster, and there is so much talent. Their offense has some studs already, plus guys like Evan Longoria who could be absolutely incredible. Their rotation has young studs like Scott Kazmir and Matt Garza, and I like James Shields to be more like his first half self than his second half. Up and coming, but wrong division to contend. 76 to 78 wins.

Texas Rangers - 74.5 - UNDER - This team needs Ian Kinsler, Josh Hamilton, and Jarrod Saltalamacchia to produce big numbers to have any chance. I think only Hamilton does that, and unless all three of them do they have very little chance to overcome their mediocre at best pitching staff.

Toronto Blue Jays - 85.5 - UNDER - In a lot of divisions, this team would have a chance. But with the Yankees and Red Sox ruling the roost, this team is limited to third place at best. They have a solid overall roster, but they need some power bats on their corners. Lyle Overbay and Scott Rolen have better shots at being hurt for half the season than at hitting 30 home runs. 80 wins, tops.

0 comments :